Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Simple Tofu Cake

Last night, as I was waiting to meet with my date, I had a sudden urge to bake - since we had 1/2 of a box of white cake mix sitting on the cupboard and soft tofu tucked deep inside the fridge, I thought of the perfect recipe: Tofu Cake.

I found this recipe on a Japanese website, and immediately fell in love with it. I mean, what's not to love? The recipe is simply this: cake mix 150g, soft tofu 200g, and milk 6 tsp. Mix it all together. Pour batter into cupcake liners. Bake at 350F for 15-20 min. That's right. No eggs, no butter, no oil, none of that good stuff. No wonder the Japanese can live so long, eh?

Anyway, since I only had 10 minutes to make the batter before my date, I panicked when I found out that I didn't have enough cake mix for 580g worth of tofu. According to mommy, even if tofu is properly stored in the fridge, it will go bad if not used once the package has been opened. So it was basically use it or throw more than half of it away.

My mom told me to just make stuff up in order to use all the tofu. So I just went crazy and added random amounts of cake & pastry flour (it has leavening agents, so it's lighter and therefore mimics cake mix? I don't know), sugar, vanilla, honey, and baking powder. Due to the time pressure, I quickly whisked everything up, poured it out in a 9x13 pan, and had mommy watch the oven.

After coming back from my date, it was already late at night and I wandered into the kitchen to test try the product of my first ever improvisation.


Not bad, not bad - 24hrs later and it's already gone.

Enjoy the recipe!
Love always,
Lucy

P.S: whenever you see the word "date", add "skype" in the front ;)


2 comments:

  1. I have to try making this sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no! I left half of one of those giant packages of tofu sitting in the fridge...

    ReplyDelete