Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Spice cravings

Here are some of my favorite dishes at several great restaurants that I've frequented over the course of my time at Brown. Always a treat = )

Kabob and Curry 's Goan Vegetable Curry $10.99 (rivals Rex's dal as my favorite curry)
This vegetarian-friendly curry from the West Indian state of Goa showcases the heat and intensity of flavors that characterize Goan cuisine. Due to its coastal location, the staple diet of Goa consists of rice and a variety of fish curries.

Appetizers: 蒸素饺 (Steamed Vegetable Ravioli $6)
凉拌菜心 (Sichuan Style Vegetable Salad $6)
very simple salad of Chinese cabbage, but dressed up with chili oil and sprinkled with sugar that counteracts the spice, adding a new dimension to the veggies

Entrees: 九层塔茄子 (Chinese Basil Eggplant $12)
still delicious, but not as good as the one at Boston Chinatown's Gourmet Dumpling House, which is cheaper and tastier




干煸四季豆 (Sauteed String Beans Sichuan Style $9)
green beans sauteed with Zha jiang (炸酱), a salty fermented soybean paste. I was expecting the use of dried chili peppers, but as the owner said he had to tweak recipes to American tastes.
Zha jiang (炸酱) is normally cooked in conjunction with mined pork. A popular dish from northern China is zha jiang mian (noodles), the Chinese answer to spaghetti bolognese.

Disappointing: 麻婆豆腐 (Mapo Tofu $9)

Authentic mapo tofu, from my gastronomic memories, should
feature tofu bathing in a cauldron of broth, laden with chilies,
Sichuan peppercorns, and minced pork (for non vegetarians).
The Chinese Iron Wok version, although vegetarian, lacked
flavor and color. The tofu used was too firm (only soft, tender
cubes of tofu should be used) and the dish overall just tasted
too much like plain tofu.

Overall, I'd recommend Chinese Iron Wok. It's the only close to authentic Chinese restaurant on College Hill. Don't expect the usual spice levels of Sichuan cuisine though. I knew that I'd be in for a trip down gustatory memory lane when I read the menu.

Sakura 's Fire Dragon Roll (Best sushi)
my favorite dragon roll kicked up a notch with spicy undertones

I'd love to hear your recommendations (for Providence, Boston, NYC or anywhere else)!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sakura has REALLY good vegetarian options too!! I really liked the yam sushi.

    ReplyDelete